So I had some left over eggplant from the ratatouille which was already sliced up into thin pieces so I decided I could pickle it, or something of the sort at least. As I started to char grill it I also decided to include some capsicum, chilli, onion and garlic. After these lovely vegetables were a wonderful colour with cripy black strips I soaked them in a mix of balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some kalamatra olives, fresh basil, cumin and freshly ground mixed pepper. The eggplant started to soak up the mixture straight away and it was all I could do not to devour it on the spot, but I think it will be better after 24 hours soaking… Gotta love great things made out of left overs! Recipe below, compliments of moi.
Home made antipasto
- 1/4 eggplant sliced thinly
- 1 green capsicum
- red chilli
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1 clove garlic
- kalamatra olives
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- small handful of basil
- Slice the vegetables into small slices.
- Chargrill on high heat with no oil.
- Place in a sealable container and cover in oil and balsamic mix.
- Stir in basil, cumin, pepper and olives ensuring all are covered well.
- Seal and place in the fridge for 24 hours
Enjoy 🙂 I know I will! Hoping to eat this with some fetta and sun-dried tomatoes.