The apple pie is a wonderful thing. All warm and comforting and homely. Which is why I decided to bake it for my new housemates in my wonderful post flood house. The smells of cinnamon and cloves have wafted beautifully around the house. Back to the recipe. I used the same pastry as I started with the cherry pie, but I added a little extra sugar. Then I based it on the apple pie recipe on http://www.howto-simplify.com/2009/11/old-fashioned-apple-pie.html with some alterations as I went.
Welcome-Home Apple Pie
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 220g cold butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
- To make the crust, place the flour, butter, sugar, salt into a mixing bowl.
- Then work with your hands until the dough comes together and you’ve formed a nice, compact ball. Add water as you need to make it come together.
- Place the dough into a bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Roll out on a floured board and wrap around the rolling pin to drape into the pie tin.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan and heat for about 5 minutes or until they soften
- Place in your pie crust and layer strips of pastry to make a lattice top
- Bake for 50minutes on 170degrees
- Enjoy 🙂
It turns out that this pie worked quite well. I think a solid top or a crumble topping would have worked better than the lattice- so I’ll try that next time.