The sweet portion of my bribe comprised of macadamia nut brittle. Now I didn’t have a candy thermometer so that’s where I fell appart. I must not have reached the right temperature so it didn’t set properly. However, thinking I couldn’t destroy it more than already I popped it into a very hot oven for 30 mins and then tried setting it again. Result? Delicious! But I assume the original recipe works well if you follow it correctly! As per http://www.notesfrommyfooddiary.com/2010/10/24/macadamia-nut-brittle-bake-sale-1/ Enjoy:
Macadamia Nut Brittle Bribery
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- Lightly butter a pan and cover with alfoil.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar, water, 6 tablespoons butter, the corn syrup, and salt until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.
- Increase the heat and cook, stir occasionally with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, until the mixture turns a deep golden brown and measures about 335 degree F on a candy thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully (the mixture will bubble up) stir in the vanilla mixture and nuts.
- Immediately pour into the prepared pan. If necessary, use a spatula or wooden spoon to spread the mixture flat. Let stand at room temperature until cool and hard, about 1 hour.
- Use the foil to lift the brittle and chop or break into chunks.
Beautiful caramel and macadamia brittle. Much recommended for gifts as it looks beautiful too!