Ok so the title is a little long, but this bean salad is my grand fall back for when I have no idea what to cook and I don’t really have anything left in the fridge- aka, shopping day was about 3 days ago except I still haven’t been. I always have certain things in my fridge. Usually people have milk, cheese, tomatoes etc… my must haves include sundried tomatoes, olives and 5 bean mix (in a can). Unfortunately the last time I used my olives I lovingly left 2 olives in the jar and so this recipe lacks them. But still good, and I believe relatively good for you. I was going to add tuna but I figured I should leave something in case I procrastinate shopping for another day. Recipe below:
What On Earth Am I Going to Have for Dinner Bean Salad
- 1 can 5 bean mix (you can use 3 bean mix, or, I suppose, any collection of beans you desire)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 preserved lemon (aka 4 quarters of preserved lemon) Best if your Ma made these and you carted them back from Cairns with love but there are some pretty good commercial ones too.
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- Lemon juice
- Clove of garlic
- Drain the beans and rinse well. I don’t know about you but I hate the slimy texture of the beans unless they are washed. Multiple times. In varying temperatures of water.
- Dice all other ingredients. I like this salad to have quite small pieces but you may enjoy larger chunks. Crush the garlic to get all the juice out for flavour.
- Mix in enough lemon juice to taste and voila- bean salad!
You can pretty much add whatever you like to this- think meditoranian so fetta cheese, olives, chargrilled capsicum, cherry tomatoes etc all work really well. Add tuna or grilled chicken if you want. A variation of this one, if for some reason you don’t like beans (strange people) is to do it as a pasta salad. Best done cold so precook your pasta. Enjoy 🙂