I do love bread. And it was a very difficult task not to gobble these down straight out of the oven, but they are waiting for their soup to be eaten with! They smell AMAZING. I based the from http://nisahomey.blogspot.com/2011/03/whole-wheat-soft-garlic-knots-no.html and just changed the topping so I could play with my new garlic crusher. Yes I went to DFO today and didn’t walk out with new clothes, or underwear, or jewellery… no, I went bananas in the kitchen shops and had to stop myself buying a million baking tins (and these amazing tart dishes, yes I’ll prob go back for them!) and ended up with a garlic crusher with an olive/cherry pitter in it. Back to the knots! They were easy to make, rose a lot in the few hours resting time and my recipe made 4. Voila.
Tie Me Up Garlic and Chive Nnots
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp chives (I used the squeezy herb ones)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1tbsp oil
- Combine the milk, sugar and yeast.
- Seperately combine the salt, flour and oil.
- Add the yeast mixture to a well in the flour.
- Gradually add water while mixing until a dough is formed.
- Cover and set aside to rise for atleast 2 hours.
- Divide into 4 and roll each into a long worm.
- Tie each worm in a knot with the spare ends wrapping around to join themselves.
- Crush the garlic and combine with oil and chives.
- Brush this mix liberally over the knots.
- Place on baking paper and bake at 160 degrees for about 25 minutes or until brown.
I love the look of these. I thought the knot bit would be hard- there are step by step photos on the recipe I used as a base so have a go!