Merry Christmas everyone! Christmas is my favourite time of year. It’s all about family and friends, the beach, relaxing with a drink and, the all important, FOOD! Again I owe you a retrospective blog about Christmas dinner with my girls, but today my contribution to Christmas lunch was the oh so festive looking watermelon salad! I originally got the recipe from a friend, and I adore it! make sure you give it a try- I promise results!
- 1/4 watermelon
- 1 block danish fetta (about 350g)
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 5-10 kalamatra olives
- handful of mint
- red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
Method: Now this is a really easy salad- basically just toss it all together! Take some liberties with amounts and change them to taste, I think my olives were a little too salty so taste them first. Step by step for those who want them below.
- Cut the watermelon into aprox 2cm square cubes
- Slice the onion finely and add to a large bowl with the watermelon
- Cut the fetta into 1cm cubes and add to the salad
- Pit the olives and slice in half, add to the salad.
- Tear the mint leaves off the step and in aprox half if large leaves, add to salad.
- Add cracked pepper to taste.
- Pour about 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil over the salad.
- Mix gently, taking care not to mash the watermelon
- Enjoy! This salad doesn’t keep that well so eat up!
I hope you all had a great Christmas day full of all the joys you could hope for. Sleep off your food coma tonight, eat more tomorrow, and just wait till the new year till you make those resolutions to start exercising again!
Edit: July 20 2012. I’ve been playing with my new camera and plating ideas for next Christmas dinner which will, of course, have the watermelon salad involved! Below is a checkerboard presentation, which I quite like 🙂