One of the great things about moving out of the city is that on the drive back from Bris there are beautiful fresh fruit and vegetable shops. Giant twisting sweet potatoes, beautiful bright red tomatoes, tiny perfect potatoes. That’s my inspiration for tonight’s dinner- these fat bright tomatoes that just screamed, EAT ME!
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1 Onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Large tomatoes
- 3tbsp crushed basil (Ideally I’d use fresh but I didn’t think it would last the trip)
- 4tbsp good olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Slice the onion and crush the garlic, add to the oil and cook gently.
- Cut the tomato into large chunks and add to the saucepan.
- Heat with moderate heat, stirring gently to rotate the tomato until it turns to a liquid consistency, allowing chunks of tomato to remain.
- Add the basil and salt to taste.
I love the smell of onion and garlic cooking in beautiful olive oil. And I must say that it would be so much better with fresh basil, but it was a hot day and I don’t think it would have been fresh anymore! Make sure you invest in some good olive oil, it’s delicious and really brings the flavour out in the tomato.