I really love cooking breakfast on the weekend. Breakfast is also my favourite meal to eat out- there are just such unique and endless oppertunities for taste bud tantalization! Yesterday I had a beautiful cooked breakfast with a variation of my sour cream scrambled eggs, instead using cream cheese and lots of shallots, cooked tomato served with basil pesto and a rasher of bacon. Nom. This morning, I wanted to venture out a bit. Also, I still had not bought bread, which means anything on toast was out. So, the solution? Make something with bread in it! So I settled on some savory scrolls- enough that I can take some to lunch next week too. Inspiration came from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2713/ham+pineapple+cheese+pizza+scrolls and I do believe it would be mightily good with pineapple- if I had the motivation to leave the house before eating breakfast to procure some… Recipe below:
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 90g butter, cubed
- 2/3 cups of milk
- extra flour
- Parmasen cheese
- BBQ sauce
- roasted peppers
- Work the butter into the flour until it comes together when you squeeze it.
- Stir in the milk.
- Roll out into a more or less rectangular shape. The more even this is, the more even your scrolls, though it doesn’t really matter!
- Add your toppings evenly over the dough- use LOTS of sauce. If you think you have enough, put more on.
- Roll this into a cylinder and slice into 5cm rounds. Be gentle, you want to retain the circular shape of your scroll!
- Place on an oiled pan and pop into a 180 degree oven for about 30 mins.
The texture of the dough was like a scone, nice and crumbly and moist. Next time- more filling and more sauce, the bread really sucks it up! I hope you give it a try, so easy and tasty!