I love having an excuse to try new recipes. Today’s excuse was a good one, Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea at work to raise money for cancer research. I’m hosting my own morning tea on Sunday (everyone is welcome!) with a goal of $500. If you can help me reach that goal please head to http://qld.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/Georginasteatime Back to the food! I’ve always loved the chocolate-peppermint mix of flavour and this one’s been sitting in my ‘favourites’ page of foodgawker for far too long! Recipe found at http://www.thegalleygourmet.net/2010/12/12102010-peppermint-crisps-i-have-been.html
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 130g dark chocolate
- 130g milk chocolate
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Heat the sugar and water in a non-stick saucpan until it has dissolved.
- Leave on a moderate heat WITHOUT STIRRING for about 8-10 minutes until it has become a caramel colour.
- Take off the heat and stir in 1tsp of the peppermint extract.
- Pour onto baking paper or a non stick flan base (can you tell I forgot to buy baking paper?) and leave until it sets
- Snap into pieces and then process in food processor into a fine white powder.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave until a smooth liquid.
- Mix in the coconut, processed peppermint sugar and remaining extract into the chocolate.
- Spread onto baking paper or a non stick flan dish until it is level.
- Refrigerate until set and then cut into whatever shape you desire!
- Voila! The easiest peppermint crisp!
Make sure you leave the sugar water mix to bubble away on its own, otherwise you will end up with syrup that doesn’t set. Other than that this was super easy! Give it a go!