I love cooking breakfast. I feel like it’s the one meal that we take for granted. We grab a piece of toast as we leave the house, eat cereal at our desks at work, scoff a bowl of porridge as we attempt to get dressed. Now, I’m not saying that every morning needs to be a cooked breakfast (although wouldn’t that be lovely!). I just really, really like taking advantage of weekends to create some wonderful dishes. Last weekend my Mama was visiting me in icy Toowoomba. Day one and I sneak out of the house to go to Jazz, pick up some bacon, tomato and eggs on my way home and cook a standard cooked breaky with olive sourdough and avocado on the side. SUPPRISE! Breakfast in bed 🙂 Day two and I decide to be a little more creative. As I lay in bed I pondered… pancakes? More bacon? No… French toast.
French Toast with Balsamic Strawberries
- 4 pieces of bread (it’s worth it to get some lovely thick white bread from the bakery)
- 2 eggs
- a dash of milk
- 1/8 cup caster sugar
- punnet of strawberries
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- Wisk the eggs and milk together.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and add a little olive oil.
- Remove the stalks from the strawberries and slice into thirds lengthways.
- Add half to a morter with the balsamic vinegar.
- Crush the strawberries with the pestle and then add most of the caster sugar (reserve about 1tbsp) and gently combine. Set aside
- Soak a piece of bread in the egg mix and pop into the moderately hot pan.
- Follow with as many pieces of bread will comfortably fit in your pan.
- Flip when lightly brown. Add a little more oil to the pan to allow the other side to crunch.
- Place french toast on a plate and add the balsamic strawberries on top. Arrange some fresh strawberries on top and drizzle the remaining balsamic/sugar/strawberry liquid over.
- Sprinkle remaining caster sugar and mint leaves over the dish.
- Voila! Enjoy!
This is a really simple dish that I really enjoyed! Give it a go, it looks beautiful and I assure you, it doesn’t disappoint in flavour!