I always thought that making pasta would be difficult, or time consuming, or more likely both in great quantities. So when I bought my beautiful Jamie Oliver red pasta maker, it was with a little trepidation that I decided to try it last night. I just can’t believe how quick and easy it was! The pasta was rich and eggy and I may/will never eat store bought pasta again! Even though you have to roll it out, because it only takes about a minute to cook, it’s actually faster than store bought! Mmm I can anticipate a long and happy relationship with this pasta maker. I can’t wait to try cracked pepper or herbs to flavor it, some beetroot to make it red or broccoli to make it green. The possibilities are endless!
Homemade Egg Tagliatelle with Lemon, Basil and Cherry Tomatoes
- 100g tipo OO flour
- 1 egg
- Juice of one lemon
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 basil Leaves, washed
- Salt and crashed pepper
- Combine egg and flour in a bowl and mix until all flour is incorporated (can also be done in a food processor)
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 30s
- Pass through the pasta maker on its widest setting.
- Fold in half and repeat about 4 times until it appears smooth and glossier
- Pass though at incrementally smaller settings until the thinnest setting is reached.
- Cut length in half and then fold into 10cm long portions
- Cut into desired pasta width, 2cm
- Loosen folds and pop into salted boiling water for about one minute
- Drain and rinse
- Combine with toppings and enjoy!