I know I’ve made earl grey cupcakes before, but this time I tried a new recipe and I think it’s much better! http://iheartkatiecakes.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/earl-grey-cupcakes.html I made a few minor changes and had a go at proper cupcake icing for the first time!
Earl Grey Cupcakes
- 125 ml milk
- 5 Earl Grey tea bags
- 110g unsalted butter
- 225g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (I used the gel)
- 140g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 115g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 60 ml milk
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract (I used the gel)
- 500g icing sugar
- Few drops of blue and red food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases. I used my awesome silicon ones.
- Heat milk with teabags in it in a saucepan over a medium heat until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat and rest for 30 minutes.
- Cream butter with sugar in a bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs and beat until well combined
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add a third of the flour to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well. Pour in a third of the milk/tea mixture and beat. Repeat until all the flour and milk has been added.
- Carefully spoon mixture into cupcake cases, filling each one two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Test to see if they are cooked.
- Leave to cool fully for a few hours.
- To make butter cream,Place the remaining teabag in the 60ml of milk and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add a few drops of blue and red colour until a purple is reached.
- Beat butter, tea-milk, vanilla and half the icing sugar until smooth.
- Gradually add the rest of icing sugar to produce a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Ice the cupcakes with a generous swirl.
I can’t believe my icing worked! I love them and can’t wait to take them into work for people to enjoy tomorrow. I had one after dinner and they taste just amazing!!!