My latest obsession appears to be cupcakes. More specifically, tea flavoured cupcakes. I’m going to have to do a whole range of them – I want my next ones to be English Breakfast and work out how to do the amazing icing that you paint so I can do the union jack on them!
Today, however, I made chai cupcakes. Recipe inspired by http://www.thewhimsicalwife.com/2012/05/tasty-tuesday-chai-cupcakes.html
Chai Cupcakes with a Honey Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1/4 cup honey + 3 tbsp
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk + 3 tbsp
- teaspoon chai tea
- 2tsp vanilla essence gel
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 400g pure icing sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon + extra for dusting
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- Warm the milk with the tea. Just before it comes to the boil, take off the heat and let rest.
- Beat the 5tsp butter with icing sugar mixture, 1/4 cup honey and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and salt.
- Add the flour and strained milk in small amounts, beating.
- Add baking powder and spices.
- Spoon mixture into cupcakes patties and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Mix 100g butter with remaining honey and 1 tsp vanilla and slowly beat in icing sugar.
- Add milk until consistency is right.
- Pipe onto cool cupcakes.
- Over half the cupcakes, sift some extra cinnamon mixed with icing sugar.
I love how pretty they look- hope everyone at work likes them!