So I’m back. The past few months have been a little crazy. I moved back to Brisbane and have an amazing new job doing exactly what I dreamed of doing. And you know what? It’s better than the dream! But along with cheesy montages of me helping babies crawl to uplifting music, there was the packing and the cleaning and the whole ‘lets hire a moving truck and shift all my belongings up a flight of stairs on the hottest day possible’. Then came the unpacking and the rearranging and the Christmas tree going up, again, in its new home. Oh and Christmas dinner, which I won’t blog about this year, but might I say that Gregory the goose did a fine job and his apple, cranberry, sage and water chestnut stuffing was the highlight of the night!
It’s my last night in Cairns-land for the Christmas break and Da got to choose the recipes from my new ‘Jamie at home: cook your way to the good life’ recipe book. He chose the Incredible smashed peas and broad beans on toast and Crispy and sticky chicken thighs with squashed new potatoes and tomatoes. Now the chicken was nice, but the pea and broad beans were delicious! So I’ve included the recipe below. I unfortunately didn’t get a photo as the family ate it before I remembered, but I may get to construct some leftovers tomorrow that I’ll photograph!
Incredible smashed peas and broad beans on toast
- 150g shelled peas
- 250g shelled broad beans
- Bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 50g fresh finely grated Parmesan
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 4 slices of sourdough
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella
- Pea shoots
- Crush the peas, beans and most of the mint into a tick paste with a mortar and pestle.
- Add most of the cheese, a good dose of olive oil and the lemon juice to taste. If the mixture is too stiff, add more olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread on a griddle and rub twice with garlic. Show some restraint- I said twice only!
- Load the green mixture onto the toasts, garnishing with cheese, mint, pea shoots and a lemon wedge.
- Squeeze some more lemon, drizzle some olive oil and serve! Delicious!
Hopefully I’ll have some more yummy recipes coming up in 2013!