Alas, the time has come (the walrus said) for soup. It is indeed soup weather. So to go with my beautiful bread I made a beautiful moroccan soup. Had I had chickpeas I think they would have been wonderful in it- but I did not. My own, very simple, recipe:
Moroccan Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup
- 200g pumpkin
- 150g sweet potato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2cm cube of ginger
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- sprig of parsley.
- Cut the pumpkin and sweet potato into small cubes and roast until soft. It is worth it to roast these and not boil them in the stock as I find the flavour is much richer.
- Crush the garlic and grate the ginger.
- Bring olive oil to heat in saucepan and add ginger and garlic.
- Add stock, roasted pumpkin and sweet potato, corriander and cumin and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Pour into bowl and add greek yoghurt and parsley.
- Enjoy with a slice of home made bread!
It’s almost getting to the time of year where I make up a vat of different soups to freeze for lunches. Hopefully there will be a few sunny days between now and then though!