I love baking! Especially on weekends when it seems like I’ve got all the time in the world to carefully mix different ingredients together until they form a beautiful end product. I’ve been eating well over the past few weeks- lots of fresh fruit and vegies to go along with my renewed addiction to the gym and running. So that makes baking a little hard sometimes when all that comes to mind is banoffee pie! But I found this beautiful recipe as I was scrolling through pinterest and it caught my eye. I made a few changes from the original (when don’t I?) which can be found here: http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Zucchini-Bread-Recipe-22825653 like severely decreasing the honey/syrups from 1/2 a cup to a tablespoon! My version is below:
Lemon, Rosemary and Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup plain flour (I would have liked to use whole wheat but I haven’t bought any yet!)
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 egg
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Squeeze of lemon Juice
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat the egg with hand beaters until it is frothy.
- Add the avocado and honey and beat until combined.
- Add the zucchini, rosemary, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Grease a loaf tin and pour mixture in evenly.
- Pop in the oven at 175 degrees for 30 minutes. Check and if top is browned, cover with foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
This is really delicious and remarkably healthy. Looking forward to an afternoon snack with some fresh tomatoes and avocado on top!