Tonight was the engagement party of a special couple. I’ve known both of them for years and tonight they asked us to join them in celebrating their engagement. What better way to do that than food! I decided to bring bread, thinking that salads are always well represented. I bought back an empty breadboard so I think it was a success! I was happy with it at any rate! Original recipe: http://www.frombraziltoyou.org/brazilian-recipes/from-brazil-to-you-corn-bread-with-basil/
Also a shout out here to my beautiful baking friend whose raspberry red velvet cupcakes could change anyone’s life!
Corn, Cheese and Basil Loaf
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (apparently this is known as polenta in Australia!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup tasty cheese
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Lightly beat the eggs together with the melted butter and milk.
- Add egg mix to dry ingredients and stir with a large spoon.
- Add cheese, corn and basil (Set a few nice leaves aside for presentation)
- Well grease a loaf tin and sprinkle with polenta.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake at 180degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little extra Parmesan on top and bake until browned.
- If a skewer inserted does not come out clean, cover in foil and continue to cook until it does so (5-10minutes).
- Gently pry from tin and present with a few fresh basil leaves.
- Enjoy with butter!
I like making different types of bread. I think for winter when I make my vats of soup to take for lunches I’ll make some bread to go with them 🙂
Now I’m off to nurse my poor mouth to bed- my wisdom tooth is erupting. This is not an enjoyable experience!