Winter is officially here! My grandma’s just been discharged from hospital so I’m staying with her for a few days attempting to feed her up and ensuring the freezer is well stocked. Last night I chopped a million vegetables to put in a hearty soup. I must say that this is the best vegetable soup I’ve made! I wish I had my fresh herbs to put in but alas, next time!
Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup
– 1/2 bunch of celery
– 5 medium sized carrots
– 2 medium brown onions
– 2 small zucchinis (or one large)
– 1 parsnip
– 1/4 pumpkin
– 2 cloves garlic
– 4 chicken thighs
– Masterfoods rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic mix
– 500ml vegetable stock
– 500 ml water
– olive oil
1. Dice half of the celery, both onions and half of the carrots finely. Crush and chop the garlic.
2. Heat a pan with olive oil and add diced vegetables. Fry until soft and the kitchen smells amazing.
3. Chop the pumpkin and parsnip into 2cm cubes and roast with olive oil.
4. Roughly chop the remaining celery, carrots and zucchini.
5. Transfer cooked celery mix to a very large saucepan and add stock, water and herb mix.
6. Bring to a simmer and add remaining celery, carrots and zucchini.
7. Dice the chicken and add to the pan, with more olive oil.
8. When roasting vegetables are tender add to soup and gently squash the pumpkin so it thickens the liquid.
9. When chicken is browned, add to soup. If some has stuck to the pan add water and scrape off to add to the soup.
10. Simmer until vegetables are soft and delicious.
Shepherds pie tonight! Winter cooking is so fulfilling!