I have recently returned from New York where I spent a month in a romantic bubble of happiness with my boyfriend. Although we went on many grand adventures when I was over there, when people ask me what my favourite thing was, it is always the little things that come to mind. I loved making lunch together and sitting down with our sandwiches, a small handful of chips and a peach or some grapes. I loved going upstairs to brush our teeth together every night, and I loved cooking together. To be fair we didn’t do much cooking. We had so many restaurants that we wanted to try and cooking fell by the wayside. This meal is one of my favourite easy meals to throw together. I usually have most the ingredients at home and it’s quick, delicious and can really be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner! This recipe serves four or we had it for dinner and then lunch.
Corn and Zucchini Fritters with Fresh Salsa
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup plain flour + extra
- Olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (different colours if possible)
- 1/3 capsicum (Or as they say, a pepper!)
- 1/3 red onion (we didn’t use this because Alex doesn’t like it)
- Lemon, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- Mix the wet fritter ingredients together.
- Add the flour slowly, stopping when you get a thick, pourable consistency.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a large pan to a moderate heat.
- Pour mixture into the hot pan into large dollops. Ensure that they are not touching and the heat is even under them. This mix should make 8-12 fritters.
- Flip when you begin to see the sides cook all the way to the top of the fritter. It should feel fairly solid on flipping.
- Chop the salsa ingredients and mix together.
- Arrange the salsa on top of the fritters with a generous shake of salt and pepper, a dollop of sour cream, a wedge of lemon and a drizzle of good quality olive oil.
Seriously these are delicious. You can make lots of modifications to the salsa and they are also great with some crispy bacon on top!